Tuesday, August 23, 2016

'I'm not a Mormon': fresh 'mass resignation’ over anti-LGBT beliefs

At age 14, Lila Steffensen started going to church alone. Her twin brother Jordan had come out as gay, and he and their mother had decided they no longer wanted to be a part of the Mormon church, which is headquartered in their home town of Salt Lake City, Utah, and espouses explicit anti-LGBT beliefs.

Steffensen was conflicted at the time, and years later, she stopped going. But she remained a member of the Mormon faith up until last week when she decided to officially cut ties with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS): on Saturday, she participated in a “mass resignation” from the Mormon church, one of more than a hundred people to file formal paperwork at a public event.

“I don’t want to be attached to the church any more, and I don’t want them to count me,” said Steffensen, 26, who works in sales. “I don’t want to be part of something that is a big con that mentally abuses thousands of people … I want to be able to say, ‘No, I’m not a Mormon’.”...
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/15/mormon-church-lgbt-mass-resignation-protest-utah


No comments:

Post a Comment








Click Older Posts above to see more.