Monday, June 26, 2023

In NYC, Some People Forced Into Psychiatric Wards Find Homes - The New York Times

 "I begged for help, I asked God to help me with my brother," said Orlando Solano, who said his 67-year-old brother, a onetime doctor, started living in the streets, chased by paranoid delusions, about 15 years ago. "I even looked for some paramedics and told them the situation, but they told me that they couldn't do anything unless my brother had a very serious crisis." 

His brother is at a nursing home where his mental and physical health are so improved he's like "another person," Mr. Solano said... 

"It's our job to keep people safe," he said. "We can leave someone with wounds that clearly look infected and is sitting in feces and urine. Do you think they have a right to stay there? Maybe. But do we have a responsibility as social service providers, and social workers, and ultimately as human beings to look out for this person, because if we don't, who's going to do it?"

No comments:

Post a Comment








Click Older Posts above to see more.