Wednesday, October 28, 2020

De-escalation training for police gains new prominence - The Washington Post

When the dispatch came out, all Officer Thaddeus Hines knew was that there was a person having a “mental crisis” and “possibly armed with a knife,” two elements that will make any cop’s heart race. Hines, 24, walked up to the ramshackle boardinghouse and gently knocked. The police officer for Burlington in North Carolina was directed to a back bedroom, where he stopped at an open doorway to see a woman sitting cross-legged on a bare mattress, shrieking at him to leave. A 13-inch knife sat inches from her right hand.
“I have been on cocaine and I’m suicidal,” the woman yelled. “I’m feeling no pain. I’m at the point where I don’t know what to do anymore.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment








Click Older Posts above to see more.