Sunday, May 29, 2016

How History and Reality Means Many of Us Have to Fight to Not be a White Supremacist

Hello, internet! My name is Emily, and I’m a white supremacist.

I know you might find this revelation upsetting, but before you start taking me to task, please allow me explain what I mean by that.

I don’t mean that I believe white people are inherently superior to Black people, or to anyone else for that matter. I believe that empathy is the highest human quality, and that privilege is one of the greatest obstacles to empathy because it allows us to ignore or rationalize the suffering of people whose experiences are different from our own. By this measure, the more privilege you have, the more challenging it is for you to be “good.”...
http://www.alternet.org/culture/how-history-and-reality-means-many-us-have-fight-not-be-white-supremacist


No comments:

Post a Comment








Click Older Posts above to see more.